Hi, from the North of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, from the North of Scotland

Hi, I'm Peter, still in my first twelve months of beekeeping and in the middle of my first winter with two BS National (UK) hives.
    I quickly worked out that treatment-free beekeeping and working as far as possible using natural methods, was likely to have the best results for the bees and for me. I joined and was quickly shouted out of the biggest, UK-based, beekeeping forum because the majority view appeared to be that anyone with even a leaning towards natural beekeeping was out of their mind or reckless or both.
    It seems that science, the natural habits of bees and commonsense, all point in the direction of treatment-free beekeeping, and it's difficult to see how some of the more experience, traditional beekeepers in the UK are so hostile (literally) to the concept of not treating their bees. I'm sure that this is going to be a more friendly and constructive forum for the discussion of this interesting subject.

Hang in there. There are many of us in the world. And we're even in the majority in some areas.
    100% Treatment-Free, 16 years.
    Medford, Oregon, USA

Comment

Welcome to the forums. I tend to keep quiet about how I do not treat my hives (on forums or get togethers with conventional BK's) as I have the same experiences with Beekeepers from Belgium. But there are some exceptions that make it all worth it!.
      Waregem - West-Vlaanderen - Belgiƫ (Flemish/Dutch)
      Waregem - West-Flanders - Belgium (English)
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My Blog
      https://beekeepingwithbob.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
        I tend to keep quiet about how I do not treat my hives (on forums or get togethers with conventional BK's) as I have the same experiences with Beekeepers from Belgium. .

Thank-you for the welcome.
        Yes, beekeeping seems like politics; if you are prepared to fight the battle, by all means declare your allegiances. But for a quiet life, better to keep your mouth shut. But I think that I am seeing an increased vocalisation by new beekeepers and by some much more experienced ones, about aspects of keeping bees which are more sustainable; for that reason I will not keep quiet.

Comment

Working...
        X