Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from The Netherlands

Hi all!

first i’d like to thank Solomon for making this possible! It is amazing to hear and read that across the world people are showing that we can keep bees in a way that is less harmful for them.

last year I started with a bio dynamic bee keeping class hosted by biologist Albert Muller. He is keeping bees treatment free for a lot of years. Last year i also got my first swarm. Black bees, not the best for a beginner, but you cannot be picky when they are given to you.

i had given them a “BD approved” home made from old simplex (the Dutch standard) boxes that were attached to each other so that the long frames we use fit. I believe our frames are dadant turned 90deg. Like in a layens hive.

Over the past few weeks i have been building a new hive with my, nearly three y/o, son. He is of great help 😉
    apart from a new hive i also need a new swarm as the swarm of last year sadly died. I think I didn’t give them enough ventilation.

now, let me discover how to post pics to this as with pics everything is better. Do i need to host them 3rd party or can they be uploaded to the forum?
    Last edited by Frankie - B; 02-20-2020, 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot the tags

Trying to add some pictures to this:

The old Simplex hive converted to fit BD frames. On top a newly made honey chamber that I used for feeding the swarm.

Feeding time. Suger water made from camomile tea with a little bit of salt and apple cider vinegar added.

Bearding

A frame of foundation less comb.

After I was done with the circular saw, my son had to saw as well. A jigsaw without a blade works perfectly

The bee box, based on the Einraumbeute design. (close to the layens and golden hive, I believe)

No plastics! a piece of cotton drenched in bees wax serves as closing layer. because of the wax, the bees won't destruct it.

Virgin comb and fanning!

Comment

Hey, Great to see some one from Belgium. Waregem, I have been there last year. If only we would have known from each others existence then. What kind of bees are you keeping?

Comment

• BobTheBuilder
        BobTheBuilder commented
        Editing a comment
        I have "mongrels" mostly. dropped from 13 to 3 hives over the winter. The survivors are 1 swarm, probably Buckfast-blood in them and 2 F1 AMM's, the original queen swarmed (I caught her swarm and gave it a home) but she died during winter.
    Working...
    X