Björn Lefevre - Belgium - West-Flanders - Waregem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Björn Lefevre - Belgium - West-Flanders - Waregem

Hi, I'm a from Belgium. Started beekeeping from februari 2018 with a 6 frame Nuc.

I split the Nuc I got twice to get my apiary going.
    I also did two trapouts, and caught a Swarm.
    I've bought two Hives with bees (and 3 empty ones) from a BK that was allergic to beestings and had to quit the hobby.
    I also caught a late season mini-swarm I think came from a queen breeder that left the queen in a small hive for mating to long.

The swarm I caught lost it's queen in a draught, I used part of it to strengthen one split and part to strengthen that late "queenswarm".
    The two Hives I bought didn't make it and got robbed out within 2 weeks after moving them.
    The split I didn't add bees to absconded after I introduced a queen I caught from the trap-out. The owners of the tree the bees I was trapping out from saw her abscond.

In short: now I've sent 2 nucs en 3 Hives into winter and am hoping for the best!
    Apart from feeding on occasion ans using bees that are queenless to strenghten weaker colonies or splits I'm not planning on using treatments ever.

Not even for the upcoming problem looking at us in Belgium with the asian hornet. I can only hope the balance of nature comes quickly and doesn't take away my hives each year. I must admit I am tempted to go out hunting hornets, but I am convinced the hornet will eventually have to be overcome by the apis mellifera itself.

I'm also a father of two and if you want more info, feel free to ask!

I'd like to thank Solomon for all the work he has done for the (treatment free) beekeeping community.

I do apologize for any spelling mistakes, even though I like to think my english is pretty ok, it is not my native language! I'll try to keep in mind it's 'hobbyist' when I want to use that word ;-)

I sometimes go by Bob (the Builder) - that is due to having a wife that's an architects assitant, and she's called Wendy. Bob the builder has an assitant called Wendy... so hence Bob.
    Bob is easier to pronounce and I don't mind, so feel free.

Greetings and Bob Out
    Waregem - West-Vlaanderen - België (Flemish/Dutch)
    Waregem - West-Flanders - Belgium (English)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog
    https://beekeepingwithbob.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the forums Bob!

Comment

Welcome Bjorn!
      Neill Sayers
      Herbhome Farm
      Arkansas Ozarks, USA
      Zone 7a

Comment

Welcome!
        Angela
        Kalispell, Montana Zone 4a
        Second Year Beekeeper

Comment

Belgium is a beautiful country. I spent six weeks in Mons once. The only downside is I only saw the sun once in that six weeks for about 2 hours...
          Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
          -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

Thank you for the Welcome!

Michael Bush Mons is about 1h 15 min driving from where I live, so the weather you had then is what my bees have to live with... I'm guessing you were here early spring or late fall? I must say the weather is changing overhere. Dry summers where we used to have at least some showers every now and then and stronger winds in between seasonchanges. No storms, but still, can't leave your garden furniture out in the yard if you don't want to go and find it in the morning.
            As for Belgium being beautiful... I wish we had more open area for nature to do it's thing.
            Waregem - West-Vlaanderen - België (Flemish/Dutch)
            Waregem - West-Flanders - Belgium (English)
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            My Blog
            https://beekeepingwithbob.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was there in January and February. We don't have moss growing on everything here. The roofs and the sidewalks had moss on them there... maybe it's dried out since then...
              Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
              -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

Working...
              X