No announcement yet.

Why UnLimited BroodNest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if your working your hive from a 8' step ladder its too tall...i agree with those above who say manage the space for bee density...Solomon are you saying if i winter my hive in a single 8 frame box ,they have already or sometime in the winter decided to swarm??...i would suggest that swarming is always a priority ,as long as the food is good ,if the blooms fail,then swarms get short circuited,and we go into survival mode...tommyboy

Comment

I guess it would depend on when you super up in the spring. I'm not going to put a specific date on it, but I'd say whenever it is, it's well before beekeepers put supers on.
      100% Treatment-Free, 16 years.
      Medford, Oregon, USA

Comment

I have checked on my 6-frame nucleus a week ago, we had 14 days of +10°C (a week before last week and up until this point). There were bees flying and since there was good weather ahead of us I decided to expand the hive already.
        I was expecting to see a fully built 6-frame drawn out comb. This however was not what I saw when opening the nuc. The bees overwintered on only 4 frames!
        I had prepared a hive with 2 deeps (Zander) so I moved the bees over to the bigger hive. (Working on a blog post about it).
        I hope I gave them space early enough to prevent swarming, if not, I'll use the swarmcells to do splits.

Now everybody I talk about what I did last week tells me I went in too early. Then again, they also tell me I can't overwinter bees in a stack of 3 boxes, and I did. Well, they did ;-)

No limited laying space for my queens :-)
        Waregem - West-Vlaanderen - België (Flemish/Dutch)
        Waregem - West-Flanders - Belgium (English)
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        My Blog
        https://beekeepingwithbob.blogspot.com/

Comment

Actually Nadiring and Undersupering are two different things. Undersupering is putting supers on top of the brood nest but below existing supers. Nadiring is putting empty boxes at the very bottom under the existing brood nest. Warre' was recommending Nadiring.
          Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
          -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

Working...
          X