Flow Hives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Hives

I have been reading up on bee keeping and am considering starting it as a hobby. Does anyone have any expierience or knowledge about the flow hives that are made in Australia.

Flow hives are a neat gizmo. However, they are outlandishly expensive, and whenever money is involved, I feel that things get ruined by the "don't want to lose my investment" disease. I can't tell if you're in Australia or not.

Additionally, they give people the mistaken impression that beekeeping is all about turning a spigot and getting honey out. It is not.

For such an expensive trinket, it's a machine that only does a job one or two days a year. Beekeeping is an all year proposition. And you can afford several conventional hives for the same price as one flow hive.

We caution new beekeepers against jumping right in and purchasing an extracting kit. Same with the flow hive, I'd say. Work on getting a sustainable population of hives before you worry about harvesting honey. Many many starting beekeepers will never actually get to that stage, and the attempted harvest of honey has undoubtedly caused many thousands of hives to die needlessly.
    100% Treatment-Free, 16 years.
    Medford, Oregon, USA

Comment

I wholeheartidly agree with Solomon on this one. Before you turn that tap (or extract honey in any other way) you need to know more about what's going on inside that hive.

Also why I became treatment free is to stop messing around with nature and work more with it instead of imposing my will upon it. I know this is my view on things and you don't need to share this view, I just want to put it out so you see the light shine from another angle upon the flowhive.
      In nature a beehive is not restricted by a queenexcluder, in the flowhive you'll need to keep it on if you want to stop the queen form laying eggs in the plastic frames you're going to open up to let the honey flow. If you don't you'll be ripping open cells with larvae in them. Imo this is not working with nature at all.
      Sure you could put on the flowframes as a super during a nectar flow, and that would work just fine. (don't forget the excluder) It's jsut not how I want to do things. The stores are there for my bees first, if they have an abundance, then I can take away some (or make splits to have more bees and secure my chances of having bees next season). But to know what they need and when they have an abundance takes a couple of years working with bees in the local environment you put them in. (Change the environment and the bees might work in a different way, so you need to learn things all over)

Another obstacle for me is that the frames are made out of plastic. I want to have my hives as free as possible from 'non natural objects'. Again this is a personal matter.

If you are aware and don't care; please go ahead and try the flowhive, you might like it!
      Waregem - West-Vlaanderen - Belgiƫ (Flemish/Dutch)
      Waregem - West-Flanders - Belgium (English)
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My Blog
      https://beekeepingwithbob.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X