Inner covers doublenucs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner covers doublenucs

I have built some double nucs and am wondering what to use for inner covers. I have seen some people using poly feed bags and folding them over when inspecting and wondering what people think of that and what other options do people use. What are the pros and cons for this option or others.
    thanks,
    Kevin

Feed bags are a popular option. In my triple nucs (queen castles) I have individual "one by" boards for inner covers. If you haven't read Kirk Webster's stuff, check his website as the double nuc is a tried and true method of his.
    100% Treatment-Free, 16 years.
    Medford, Oregon, USA

Comment

• Kevin
      Kevin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Solomon I will check out Kirk's stuff.

Poly feed bags work well and are free. Hard to beat free.
    Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
    -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

• Kevin
      Kevin commented
      Editing a comment
      Do poly bags not hold moisture and do fit them to the hive top or let it hang over and just fit the top cover over them?

They don't hold moisture. Probably best to not hang over, but they won't wick so it shouldn't create a problem.
    Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
    -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

If they do hang over, they just sun bleach and come apart, so after a season or two, it's not a problem anymore.
      100% Treatment-Free, 16 years.
      Medford, Oregon, USA

Comment

Working...
      X