What I did on summer vacation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did on summer vacation...

So after 4 years of trying to maintain a single hive apiary, listening to lots of people, and having a terrible winter/spring multiple loss, I decided to take a season off and start fresh next spring. Figuring I would clean up and repaint and repair my existing equipment, build enough new equipment so that I can actually do multiple hives, splits and so on and so forth.

While I am at it, I decided to start doing some research and reading. So I started into looking at natural or TF or whatever the proper term is now. I read Beekeeping with a Smile (Lazutin), then followed up with Keeping Bees in Horizontal Hives (Layens) (Complete Course in Apiculture translated and renamed I assume) Then I started collecting all the PD books I could find from archive.org and gutenberg and the other places. I read Constructive Beekeeping (Clark) Then I picked up Beekeeping Naturally (Bush).

So I am watching every video I can find that references Bush, Davis, Palmer, Seeley, Comfort, Natural, Treatment Free, Sustainable, and whatever else sounds good.

I am building traps and asking anyone I know who I don't live too far away from if they will let me put traps up on their property. As well, I am also asking people who have more property than myself if they would like one or move hives on their property.

So, not sure who to read next, or other than trapping, and researching the local breeders to find queens or nucs for spring what else to add to the plan. I am hoping to get to the next winter with enough hives or nucs that I can have live colonies the following spring.

Formulating a plan, building equipment, and working on the summer reading list.

Brilliant start! Try “The Idle Beekeeper” by Bill Anderson next.
    Welcome!
    Angela
    Kalispell, Montana Zone 4a
    Third Year Journeyman Beekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by atollerson View Post
      Welcome!
      Okay!! I will put that on the list!

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like you know what you want and you're willing to keep an open mind towards your own approach! That's a good way towards succes! Good luck!
        Waregem - West-Vlaanderen - België (Flemish/Dutch)
        Waregem - West-Flanders - Belgium (English)
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        My Blog
        https://beekeepingwithbob.blogspot.com/

Comment

But wait there's more!!! So my caticorner neighbor, (don't know his name... only lived here 6 1/2 years) saw me rebaiting one of my bait hives a while back in the disputed lands between our homes... (great story by the way) and we had a 2 minute chat about bees. Later he suggested that my wife and I should play pickleball with him and his wife (and that is not a euphemism either) ..

Anyway, this was a couple weeks ago, hadn't seen them since. Today my wife calls me to come down from my office because he sent me over a gift. He thought I might like this pair of books...

Click image for larger version

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	6069

Comment

Wait is this the neighbor you mentioned earlier you don’t get along with?
            Angela
            Kalispell, Montana Zone 4a
            Third Year Journeyman Beekeeper

Comment

Wait is this the neighbor you mentioned earlier you don’t get along with?
              I don't remember mentioning anyone that I don't get on with. These are like the perfect neighbors. They are quiet, keep their lawn nice and are pretty good about cutting half of the disputed territory. There is a half lot between us that neither of us own, and the owner of record hasn't paid taxes on in so long but neither the person with my property before me nor he has been able to buy the property from the city. So we just treat it like up to the tree in the middle from either side belongs to either of us.

I like them just fine, and they did invite us to play pickle ball with them. But, I have no idea what any of their names are, aside from the one daughter that works at the grocery with a name-tag ... so I know her name fine.

It has been one of those things where you look straight into someone's face and say "Hey, how are you doing.? This is this, and that is that and the other thing... " So not having to yell at someone across a crowded hallway, there has been no need to know anyone's name.

I am a freaking delight! I get on with everyone. People who's names I don't even know bring me gifts of books printed in the early 1970's

The people that live next door to them suck. They are loud, and obnoxious, and racist. Their kid shoots birds in my yard with his bb-gun. I am pretty sure they tease my dogs, and they never brought me any books.

And the one on my other side, is super nice, and brings in my trash cans when I am on vacation. We know their names, and their girls play with my dog through the fence. They have given us cookies, and apple butter, and we have given them pepper jelly and honey. I know their names... but just found out their last name 2 weeks ago.

Everyone else on the block I couldn't tell you much about.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
                I want your neighbour! Send him to me as a gift!
                That would be a long trip... And do you play pickle ball?

Comment

• BobTheBuilder
                  BobTheBuilder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, I even had to look up what it is I probably wouldn't be able to hit the ball either :<

Going to have to find your own neighbors then, I will keep these.

Comment

Welcome!
                  Well, that is quite the read! I don't think I am quite ready for the move to Warre but the author can certainly inspire belief in the possibilities!

However, I think I am pretty much committed to Langstroth equipment for the time being. I do like the idea of the twice a year visit, seems similar to the Lazutin philosophy in that respect. Unfortunately, I know the reality of what happens when bees are left to their own devices here left to swarm as they see fit and so forth.

I also like the idea of a more topbar vs frame. I can see how some of Sam Comfort's ideas come from Warre. I think it I were to shift equipment styles so drastically, his box hives might be more preferable.

And it seems like one more vote toward significantly insulated hives, and as a matter of course all year round.

I used Hoopla to read this book from the Library. I think it would be a nice one to have on the shelf just due to its writing style, and the fact that I will likely reread it again in the future. But that's the nice thing about libraries and Hoopla, I can always check it out again when I feel it necessary.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                  X