Cut out for a new beekeeper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut out for a new beekeeper?

Should I, as a novice beekeeper, chance moving a hive of bees from a wall?
    I have these bees that have made a home last summer in the wall of a shed. There have been bees in that wall on and off for as long as I can remember. Sometimes they survive the winter and sometimes not, but after a summer or two another swarms moves in. So far this winter they are still alive and if they don't die this spring I would like to move them to a hive. I wonder if maybe it would be better if I just left them be and set up a swarm trap hoping they would swarm instead of trying to move them.

If they do die, could I use their comb to install in a swarm trap, or would I just be wrecking a prime spot for bees to swarm to?

I would say leave them be and prepare to catch swarms. If they're not causing any problems, the best thing to do is leave them where they're at. If they're a good feral colony I wouldn't want to risk killing or losing the queen. A better option would be to set up swarm traps so this colony can provide you a regular good source of bees for years to come. Plus you'd be maintaining some solid habitat for bees in the near future.
    100% Treatment-Free, 16 years.
    Medford, Oregon, USA

Comment

Thank you for answering, How far away from the original colony should I set a trap?

I was hesitant to do a cut out after listening to many of your podcasts on swarm catching and how valuable a good swarm site could be. I guess building swarm traps will be my winter project. Besides, I was not looking forward to doing a cut out as a novice.

Comment

I did exactly that when I started. If I had other choices I would not.
        Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
        -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

Working...
        X