SHB questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHB questions

1. Has anyone ever seen a SHB stuffed into the nectar cell? 2. What are all the options regarding managing small hive beetles? I saw about 6-10 in each hive, no snotty comb, no funny larva. I smashed all I could catch.

Originally posted by snispel View Post
    What are all the options regarding managing small hive beetles? I saw about 6-10 in each hive, no snotty comb, no funny larva. I smashed all I could catch.
    Here's what has worked for me snispel. I have let the grass grow up in front of the bottom board instead of cutting it down. Some of the grass at this time of year is almost to the top of the bottom deep. The SHB count in my hives has dropped drastically. My hives are in full sun all day long and I always kept the grass mowed neatly around the hives. Last year, due to a family situation that kept me away from the last of April to the last of July, the beeyard did not get mowed so the grass grew up in front of and around my hives.

I usually pull my portion of the spring honey the first of June but didn't last year until the first week of August when I was back home. I saw only one SHB in the eight hives. The previous years when I kept the grass mowed, I'd see 6 to 8 in each hive when I pulled the top cover off on the inner cover. I was home this year but I let the grass grow up in front of my hives again. I left approximately a foot of grass in front of each hive but mowed all around everywhere else.

Same result, except even better actually, no SHB when I removed the top cover and none as I harvested the honey either. I'm thinking the grass blocked the SHB from flying into the hive. The bees knew how to work around or through the grass, the SHB didn't. Your milage may vary but it's worked for me two years now.

Comment

Working...
    X