Both colonies crashed, died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both colonies crashed, died

We had two colonies going into Winter, and both were thriving 5 days ago. If they died from pesticides or chemical poisoning, can we use the comb and honey for new nucs? So sad!
    Fifth year beekeeper
    St. Charles, MO

Cat,
    So sorry for your loss, what a bummer!

If they did indeed die from chemical/pesticide poisoning, I would not want to reuse the honey or combs at all. Woodenware would probably be safe. You could send the dead bees to the Beltsville lab for testing to try and determine the cause.
    Neill Sayers
    Herbhome Farm
    Arkansas Ozarks, USA
    Zone 7a

Comment

They are currently spraying Round-up here, but it seems early for insecticides. I wonder if they got directly sprayed with round-up while working hen-bit. Usually bees that are poisoned don't bring back enough to contaminate things much. Most of them die in the field.
      Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
      -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

I mailed some of the dead bees to the Beltsville lab, so hopefully will get more information. I hate to burn foundation less small cell comb and honey! That stings almost as much as losing the bees!
        Fifth year beekeeper
        St. Charles, MO

Comment

did you notice their tongues sting out possible pesticide poison or trachea mite...tommyboy

Comment

Yes, their tongues were sticking out. The picture I posted shows a few of the dead bees. No deformed wings, and I did not see any mites in the alcohol wash.
            Fifth year beekeeper
            St. Charles, MO

Comment

Beltsville won't test for pesticides. They will check for Nosema and some other diseases.
              Nehawka, Nebraska. My website: bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm em portugues: bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm My book: ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
              -----"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin-----

Comment

We think we figured out what poisoned them. Our neighbor closest to our gardens has Mr. Mosquito come to fog their yard and pool, very close to our hives, but separated by a privacy fence. We realized what was happening the other day, and quickly covered the hives with sheets and sprayed them with water. The bees weren't happy about it! They have this done every three weeks, and are now going to give us notice in advance. Is the wet sheet the best way to protect them??
                Fifth year beekeeper
                St. Charles, MO

Comment

Working...
                X