open air hive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open air hive

a few years back i tried my hand at raising laying chickens. except for some minor nutritional deficiencies all went well.got lots of eggs but an egg chicken isn't very good eating stringy and tough...OK not bees but bear with a moment...i put them in a large chicken wire enclosure open to the air covered with a tarp for rain and enclosed on 3 sides in a tiny section for roosting ,i let them out some but most days they were inside,coldest winter hottest summer ,and all open air ,and mostly did well. about 3 years of that i discovered bees and quit that chicken $hit ...screen bottoms have the advantage of ventilation in the heat of summer and moisture reduction in winter,heat rises , displacing air which pulls cold air into the hive, the warm air cools and gets heavy and it falls out the bottom ,causing a circular flow taking moisture with it,the scuttlebutt in bee talk is that cold doesn't kill bees moisture does ,a bee can be cold and a bee can be wet but she cant be cold and wet,so remove the moisture at all costs, small hive beetles can get through the mesh that is usually provided with screen bottom boards,i have replaced mine with window screen and leave them wide open in winter,our low so far has been 18F and all is well.another point changing the air removes some airborne virus, protozoans,and bacteria that might permeate the air in a closed hive and the open air may leave it too cold and dry for them propagate ..only my opinion but i believe open air is the way to go...tommyboy

thanks tomboy. I've had a real problem with SHB this season and last. How often do you need to change the screening? I'm sure it gets 'dunked' up.

Comment

Working...
    X